There is so much confusion about plastic bags, wrappers and rubbish. While some of us work to become zero or at least less waste homes, there are plenty of people who are not interested. Also it is not easy to avoid all plastic packaging. The REDcycle bins are a fantastic initative, that mean you can take any unavoidable soft plastics for recycling. REDcycle is a recycling programme that recycles flexible plastics – the ones you can’t put in your usual recycling bin. You might be surprised to find out exactly what can be recycled in the REDCycle bins. There are REDcycle bins near the checkouts in 480 Coles stores and 100 Woolworths stores around Australia. Find your closest drop-off point using the store locator on REDcycle website.
How does REDcycle work?
- The first step is to make sure you collect all the soft plastics that you can’t recycle in your usual council bin. We keep a box and place them all in as we go and when full, I run them down to Coles or Woolworths.
- You need to make sure they are as dry and as empty as possible. But you do not have to wash them out. REDcycle say that their processing can manage a limited amount of contamination (such as a few crumbs or a bit of dried gravy). Please ensure your plastics are dry however because wet plastic creates a mould problem.
- Drop your soft plastics into your nearest REDcycle collection bin and RED Group will do the rest.
- There are participating supermarkets all around Australia. Find the REDcycle drop off point nearest to you.
- REDcycle bins are usually near the checkouts. There are currently a few different types of REDcycle bins in use depending on the store so please ask at the customer service desk if you can’t locate the bin.
What happens next?
- The collected plastic is returned to RED Group’s facility for initial processing, then delivered to Victorian manufacturer Replas where it undergoes an incredible transformation.
- Replas uses the material as the resource to produce a huge range of recycled-plastic products, from fitness circuits to sturdy outdoor furniture, bollards, signage and more.