Do you worry about what impact your actions are having on the health of the planet? Would you love to do more but feel overwhelmed? Not sure where to start and it all feels too hard? It is easy to get overwhelmed by all there is to do in the world and the difficulties we face in living a more gentle life.
But you are not alone.
Welcome to The Sustainable Home Hub, an award-winning eco-living, home, travel and lifestyle blog. We are all about inspiring action for our planet while tackling climate grief & eco-anxiety. I am Helen Edwards, an award winning writer, blogger and children's author. I am Mama to 3 beautiful sons and I have just finished my PhD in psychology.
Our focus is on helping you to take small, simple, realistic and actionable steps, to a more sustainable life, while reducing eco-anxiety and climate grief.
Whether you want to make changes in your life to be more sustainable, find ways to get back in touch with nature and your loved ones through travelling our beautiful Australian countryside, while remaining as eco-friendly as possible, or just want to create a healthier, happier life, where you tread more lightly on our beautiful Mother Earth - you are in the right place.
We are on a mission to encourage slower homes, that refuse consumption of unethical, poorly made items, and increase sustainable living. Celebrate diversity, love your own style, and connect more with each other. Stop worrying about what other people think and more about what you can do to be happier, healthier, and create a home you love that's better for you, your family and our planet.
Many people find barriers at every step when trying to make changes.
-People often say it costs more to be sustainable - but it does not always have to be the case & we must pressure markets to change this by choosing the more eco options so demand goes up and prices come down. In addition things like vintage furniture, clothing and homewares are often cheaper and better quality.
-As a business owner you need support in creating the right messages to encourage people to buy once and buy well, and see the value in purchasing your quality products over ones that are cheap and bad for the planet.
- When trying to make sustainable and eco choices, store owners often just supply non-sustainable options such as plastic wrapped food and plastic utensils - but it is about learning to say no and taking your own.
-You can not recycle soft plastics at home, so refusing plastics and knowing where the redcycle bins are for those you can not avoid, is important.
- Many people live in small apartments or don't have access to a compost bin - so it is about reducing food waste and finding other people locally who will take your food scraps and using council green bins.
-We need more changes to infrastructure to make it cheaper and easier for people to install solar, recharge their battery car, compost and recycle, as well as car share and walk and ride to work.
While we definitely need bigger picture system changes, the simple steps you take to be more sustainable at home DO make a difference.
Helen's Real Homes Story
I have spent many years decorating my home in my own unique style and cherishing the stories that lie behind old stuff. I grew up with bohemian parents who valued the environment and were passionate about people and planet. So many people are yearning to go back to a slower pace of life, to appreciate difference and connect with what matters in life.
I have spent my life helping, nurturing and loving human beings, animals and our earth. I am a genuine tree hugger and passionate about living a life that leaves this beautiful planet in a state that allows future generations and other creatures we share the world with, to live long and well.
From when I was a little girl being banned from watching Lassie (yes really!) because I was too worried about her being left behind during the opening credits (yes that was before the show even got into the multitude of crises she faced!), to my career as a social worker, my founding of a national diabetes charity, and my work helping people and our planet, is really what floats my boat. Read more about us here.
How The Sustainable Home Hub Can Help You
We want to help you create a home YOU love, not one dictated by other people and invite you to reject fast fashion. We want to support everyone to take small, simple steps to sustainability, while we advocate for bigger changes.
No matter how big or small, whether it has cracks and knocks, needs some work or is perfect the way it is – your home is YOURS.
Regularly check out the Blog - sharing all sorts of stories about sustainable businesses, eco friendly products, eco-travel and lifestyle tips and how to create a life that is better for you and the planet.
We also share inspirational posts and images, as well as DIY and upcycling tips, decorating and styling ideas, projects from our readers, house tours and more.
Do you want a more sustainable lifestyle? Make more yourself, do more yourself, grow your own, eat healthier, take care of your family and our planet and create a home you can love? In my Book - Healthy Planet, Healthy People, Healthy Home: Create a Sustainable Home You Love" you will take small steps, to make a difference to the sustainability of our planet, increase your health and happiness and tread more lightly on the earth. Find my Book Here at the store.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
Create A Sustainable Home
- Drop the mum guilt & create a home you love
- Read why vintage decorating is good for you
- Check out some fabulous house tours here
- One of our most popular posts Duncan Meerding and his Cracked Log Lamps
- The one about the time I painted a roadside find fabric chair with chalk paint– yup you can do that!
- The one about 10 funky upcycled lounge ideas
- The one about the Retrash project, with upcycling inspiration galore, and the Offcyclers and their amazing upcycling that will blow your mind here
- And one of our most popular house tours – Gina’s vintage home
GET HAPPY & HEALTHY
- Read why you should think before you shop
- Learn some tips in the post about “Screw You Stress”
- Read the ten reasons why you matter more than anyone else, yes you do!
- Find a whole lot of talent in our interviews & learn from their stories
- Read all about the 5 things you need to stop doing right now for your wellbeing
- Check out some ideas about how to build an earthship
- Come see if you agree with me that there is nothing wrong with nanna style decorating!
- You may like Home Fitting In and Why You Shouldn’t
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
Stop comparing or trying to keep up with The Joneses and love your REAL home! Join us xx Helen