Do you worry about what impact your actions are having on the health of the planet? Would you love to do more but feel overwhelmed? Not sure where to start and it all feels too hard? Love decorating your home but find it hard to know what is actually eco?
You are not alone.
Are you a business owner in the sustainable, green, eco, fairtrade or handmade space? Selling products or services that tread more lightly on the earth? It can be hard to get your message out there and be seen. Encouraging people to choose the eco, handmade or sustainable option can be tricky.
Welcome to The Sustainable Home Hub, Your Green Home & Living Hub - where we help you create a beautiful sustainable home, one step at a time. I am Helen Edwards - Mama, Writer, Stylist, Speaker and Advocate for People and Planet. I am an Ambassador for 5 Gyres, promoting more ocean, less plastic; and the Orangutan Alliance, promoting products created with care and without palm oil.
At The Sustainable Home Hub our focus is on reducing eco-anxiety, removing barriers to sustainability, and helping you to take small simple actionable steps towards a more sustainable home and life.
It isn't easy being green when we live in an environment that pushes single use, fast furniture and seasonal trends. As a business trying to sell the green, eco, sustainable, handmade, fairtrade message - it also isn't easy selling your products or services.
That is why we created the Sustainable Home Hub - to help people find what they need when it comes to designing, building, decorating and living in their homes, and to help sustainable, eco and handmade businesses to grow, making it easier for people to make sustainable choices for their homes.
We are on a mission to encourage slower homes, that refuse consumption of unethical, poorly made items, and increase sustainable living. Celebrate diversity, love your own style, and connect more with each other. Stop worrying about what other people think and more about what you can do to be happier, healthier, and create a home you love that's better for you, your family and our planet. Grow your business, share your messages and make it easier for everyone to tread more lightly on the earth.
We believe in YOUR style being perfect and in creating a beautiful home that treads more lightly on the planet - one step at a time. We also believe that the makers and shakers out there offering better choices for people in designing, building, decorating and living in their homes, need support. It is our mission to help you grow your business, because it benefits us all.
Many people find barriers at every step when trying to make changes.
-People often say it costs more to be sustainable - but it does not always have to be the case & we must pressure markets to change this by choosing the more eco options so demand goes up and prices come down. In addition things like vintage furniture, clothing and homewares are often cheaper and better quality.
-As a business owner you need support in creating the right messages to encourage people to buy once and buy well, and see the value in purchasing your quality products over ones that are cheap and bad for the planet.
- When trying to make sustainable and eco choices, store owners often just supply non-sustainable options such as plastic wrapped food and plastic utensils - but it is about learning to say no and taking your own.
-You can not recycle soft plastics at home, so refusing plastics and knowing where the redcycle bins are for those you can not avoid, is important.
- Many people live in small apartments or don't have access to a compost bin - so it is about reducing food waste and finding other people locally who will take your food scraps and using council green bins.
-We need more changes to infrastructure to make it cheaper and easier for people to install solar, recharge their battery car, compost and recycle, as well as car share and walk and ride to work.
While we definitely need bigger picture system changes, the simple steps you take to be more sustainable at home DO make a difference.
Helen's Real Homes Story
I have spent many years decorating my home in my own unique style and cherishing the stories that lie behind old stuff. I grew up with bohemian parents who valued the environment and were passionate about people and planet. So many people are yearning to go back to a slower pace of life, to appreciate difference and connect with what matters in life.
I have spent my life helping, nurturing and loving human beings, animals and our earth. I am a genuine tree hugger and passionate about living a life that leaves this beautiful planet in a state that allows future generations and other creatures we share the world with, to live long and well.
From when I was a little girl being banned from watching Lassie (yes really!) because I was too worried about her being left behind during the opening credits (yes that was before the show even got into the multitude of crises she faced!), to my career as a social worker, my founding of a national diabetes charity, and my work helping people and our planet, is really what floats my boat. Read more about us here.
How The Sustainable Home Hub Can Help You
We are on a mission to create Australia (and then the world's) biggest green home & living hub! We want to help you create a home YOU love, not one dictated by other people and invite you to join our #realhomesmovement, and encourage you to reject fast fashion in interiors. We want to support everyone to take small, simple steps to sustainability, while we advocate for bigger changes.
No matter how big or small, whether it has cracks and knocks, needs some work or is perfect the way it is – your home is YOURS.
Regularly check out the Blog - sharing all sorts of stories about sustainable businesses, eco friendly products, vintage and boho style tips, and how to create a home that is better for you and the planet.
We also share inspirational posts and images, as well as DIY and upcycling tips, decorating and styling ideas, projects from our readers, house tours and more.
Sustainable Home Hub Directory
We are so proud to be growing Australia's largest green home & living directory specifically targeted at sharing sustainable design+build+decorate+living businesses who can help you tread more lightly on the planet
Check out the hub and add your business here.
Do you want a more sustainable lifestyle? Make more yourself, do more yourself, grow your own, eat healthier, take care of your family and our planet and create a home you can love? In my Book - Healthy Planet, Healthy People, Healthy Home: Create a Sustainable Home You Love" you will take small steps, to make a difference to the sustainability of our planet, increase your health and happiness and tread more lightly on the earth. Find my Book Here at the store.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
- Join our 5 Days to a More Sustainable Home e Course – it is FREE! And as a bonus, grab a 20% discount on my new book – Healthy Planet, Healthy People, Healthy Home, discount to our store – and get access to our private Facebook community group
- Read the blog here
- Listen to the Podcast here
- And join our community of passionate recyclers of over 130,000 people on Facebook Pinterest and Instagram
Create A Sustainable Home
- Drop the mum guilt & create a home you love
- Read why vintage decorating is good for you
- Check out some fabulous house tours here
- One of our most popular posts Duncan Meerding and his Cracked Log Lamps
- The one about the time I painted a roadside find fabric chair with chalk paint– yup you can do that!
- The one about 10 funky upcycled lounge ideas
- The one about the Retrash project, with upcycling inspiration galore, and the Offcyclers and their amazing upcycling that will blow your mind here
- And one of our most popular house tours – Gina’s vintage home
GET HAPPY & HEALTHY
- Read why you should think before you shop
- Learn some tips in the post about “Screw You Stress”
- Read the ten reasons why you matter more than anyone else, yes you do!
- Find a whole lot of talent in our interviews & learn from their stories
- Read all about the 5 things you need to stop doing right now for your wellbeing
- Check out some ideas about how to build an earthship
- Come see if you agree with me that there is nothing wrong with nanna style decorating!
- You may like Home Fitting In and Why You Shouldn’t
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
Stop comparing or trying to keep up with The Joneses and love your REAL home! Join us xx Helen